General Information

Birth Certificate: For birth certificate records, call The Fayette County Clerk at (979) 968-3251.

Budget Process: The budget process is a systematic approach to providing reasonable estimates of revenues and expenditures for a certain level of activity. These revenue and expenditure estimates are based on past, current, and future anticipated activity. The information is accumulated and proceeds from the department heads to the City Manager, the City Council, and the public. Therefore, budget preparation is an opportunity to review each activity and present a realistic, adequately documented budget to provide those services in a low-cost, efficient manner.

The City’s Charter (Article IX, Financial Procedures) outlines specific requirements which provide for the preparation of the annual budget each year. This budget process begins in May of each year and the proposed budget is presented to City Council in July for their review. Budget workshops are scheduled with the City Council and department heads in August. The public hearing on the proposed budget is published in the local newspaper stating the date, time, and place and also is posted at City Hall. All meetings are open to the citizens of La Grange and the general public. The annual budget period begins October 1st and ends September 30th.

City Manager: The City Manager is the chief executive officer of the City and is responsible for seeing that the City Council’s policy is carried out by various departments.

City Secretary: The City Secretary is responsible for keeping official records of City Council meetings and official City business and presides over municipal elections. City records are available to the public upon request to the City Secretary.

The City Secretary also is responsible for operation of the La Grange Municipal Court.

Constable, Precinct #1: The Constable also provides law enforcement services in the area. Please call this office for police matters outside city limits: (979) 968-3648.

Curfew: The City enforces a curfew for minors under 17 years of age. It applies from 12:00 a.m. week nights and from 1 a.m. on weekends. The curfew is lifted at 6:00 a.m. the following morning. There are listed exceptions - call the Police Department at (979) 968-5806 for details.

Death Certificate: For death certificate records, call the Fayette County Clerk (979) 968-3251.

Driver’s License: The nearest Texas Department of Public Safety office for issuing driver’s licenses is located in Columbus at 3229 Columbus Loop and is open M-F 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and can be reached at 979-732-3451. The next closest office is in Bastrop at 305 Eskew Street and is open M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and can be reached at 512-581-7152.

Finance Department: The Finance/Budget Director plans, directs and supervises the City’s financial affairs, including financial reporting, budgeting, debt management, investments, and financial planning. The Finance Department is responsible for the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll.

Fire: EMERGENCY: Dial 911.

Fire Department: The La Grange Volunteer Fire Department offices are located at the Fire Station at 244 N. Franklin. Non-emergency number: (979) 968-3952.

Fire Marshal: The Fire Marshal conducts regular inspections of commercial and industrial buildings for conformance with the Life Safety Code. The Fire Marshall also investigates causes of fire. Call (979) 968-5805.

Fireworks: Fireworks may not be manufactured, sold, possessed or ignited in the City. If you have any questions concerning fireworks call the Fire Marshal at (979) 968-5805.

Graffiti: If you notice graffiti on any buildings, contact Chief of Police at (979) 968-5806.

Itinerant Vendor’s License: Itinerant vendors licenses are required for all transitory-type sales. There is a $30 permit fee which is valid for one year. Vendors must furnish the City with copies of a valid driver’s license of all participants and a copy of their sales tax number. The license is issued by the Chief of Police. Call (979) 968-5806.

Junked Vehicles: Junk vehicles are vehicles which have an expired inspection sticker and license plates and are inoperable. For vehicles located on private property, contact the Code Enforcement Inspector at (979) 968-5805. For vehicles located on public roads and right-of-ways, contact the Police Department at (979) 968-5806.

Liquor License: City ordinance requires a liquor license for businesses serving alcoholic beverages within the City. Applications are done through the City Secretary. Renewals are processed through the Tax Assessor/Collector’s Office. A city license is required in addition to the state license. Call (979) 968-5805.

Main Street: The goal of the La Grange Main Street program is to rehabilitate existing structures focusing on the unique character of the buildings coupled with the development of progressive marketing and management techniques. The Board of Directors assumes legal and philosophical responsibility for all activities of the Main Street Program. The Board is also solely responsible for establishing program policy, approving the annual budget, and determining the goals of the program. The Main Street office is located at 254 N Jefferson and their phone number is (979) 968-3017.

Marriage Ceremony: Marriage ceremonies and registrations: Justice of the Peace, Judge Hartmann, (979) 968-3648.

Municipal Court: The Municipal Court Clerk and Deputy Court Clerk are responsible for administration of Municipal Court activity.  Arraignments are held the second and fourth Thursdays of each month at 1:00 p.m.

For information, contact the clerks at (979) 968-5806.

Passport: U. S. passport applications may be obtained from the District Clerk at the Fayette County Courthouse. Call (979) 968-3548.

Permits and Licenses Issued by the City


Telephone Number

Amusement Device Permit

(979) 968-5805

Animal Registration

(979) 968-5805

Building Permit

(979) 968-5805

Demolition Permit

(979) 968-5805

Electrical Construction Permit

(979) 968-5805

Electrical Contractor License

(979) 968-5805

Itinerant Vendor’s Permit

(979) 968-5806

Liquor Permit

(979) 968-5805

Master Electrician License

(979) 968-5805

Mechanical Construction Permit

(979) 968-5805

Parade Permit

(979) 968-5806

Plumbing Construction Permit

(979) 968-5805

Sign Contractor License

(979) 968-5805

Sign Permit

(979) 968-5805

Wrecker Permit

(979) 968-5806

Zoning Certificate of Occupancy

(979) 968-5805

Zoning Permit

(979) 968-5805

Police Department: EMERGENCY: Dial 911.

The Department is located at 243 S. College Street and is open at all times. Call (979) 968-5806 for non-emergencies.

Sales Tax: Retail sales and use tax within the City is 8.25%.

Sign Regulation: Exterior signs in La Grange must meet certain criteria and be permitted by the City. Sign regulations apply both to signs placed on the face of buildings and free-standing signs. Banners and streamers are regulated also. Permits are issued to licensed sign contractors.

Swimming Pool: The City operates a municipal swimming pool at Kruschel Park, located at 480 W. Colorado. You can call for more information and for questions about the pool: (979) 968-5600.

Traffic Light Repair: All traffic lights in the city are maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation. If you notice a signal malfunctioning, contact them at (979) 968-8333.

Vehicle Inspection: The State requires vehicles be inspected every year. Most maintenance garages and vehicle dealers offer this service for a fixed fee.

Vehicle Registration: Registered at the Fayette County Courthouse through the tax collector’s office.

Voter Registration: Voter registration cards are available at the Fayette County Courthouse through the tax collector’s office.

Weeds: The City has an ordinance which relates to high grass and weeds. The ordinance states that a property is in violation once the height of the grass and weeds is 12 inches. It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that they are not in violation of the ordinance at any time. For additional information, contact the Code Enforcement Inspector at (979) 968-5805.

Zoning: The Zoning Ordinance promotes general health, safety, welfare, and morals by regulating La Grange allowable land uses within the City. La Grange is divided into six zoning classification districts, each with certain types of land use allowed. All areas of the City fall into one of the zoning districts.

Zoning Map

For additional information call (979) 968-5805.